IDIOMS là một trong những yếu tố sẽ giúp các bạn ghi điểm cao trong bài thi SPEAKING IELTS. Tuy nhiên, nếu lạm dụng idioms quá nhiều thì bài Speaking lại không được tự nhiên . Trong bài viết này KOS ENGLISH CENTER sẽ chia sẻ tới mọi người 25 Idioms “RUỘT “ cho thi SPEAKING IELTS hiệu quả nhất
1. Once in a blue moon = very rarely
-> năm thì mười hoạ, hiếm khi
- Example : Because live abroad, I get to see my parents Once in a blue moon
2 .Over the moon = On the top of the world
->Cực kỳ hạnh phúc
- Example : I am over the moon about being accepted to the university.
3.Back to the drawing board
->bắt đầu lại từ đầu
- Example :I got a low mark in reading! Oh well, I decided to be back to the drawing board
- a piece of cake = ( as) easy as pie
->dễ như ăn bánh, dễ như bỡn
- Example : I’ve always had time studying history, but math is a piece of cake.
5.off the top one’s head
->nói một điều gf mà không suy nghĩ chín chắn
- Example : You should not answer the question off the top one’s head
6.run of the mill= average , ordinary
->hoạt động bình thường
- Example : My computer was very run of the mill yesterday.
- down in the dumps = sad
- Example : When I move to another school , I was really down in dumps.
8.find one’s feet = to become comfortabledoing something
-> cảm thấy thoải mái khi làm gì
- Example : Although I had some difficulties in living far from house as first , I soon found my feet.
9.set in their ways = not wanting to change
-> không muốn thay đổi
- Example : My parents are quite traditional and set in their ways.
- go the extra mile
-> làm quá mức bình thường
- Example : She is the greatest teacher I’ve ever known.She is always willing to go the extra mile for her students
11.a hot potato = a controversial topic
-> vấn đề gây tranh cãi
- Example : Changing education system is a hot potato n Vietnam at the moment
- miss the boad = miss an opportinity
-> lỡ mất cơ hội
- Example : I sent my application in late and I think I missed the boat
- cost an arm and a leg = really expensiv
-> giá đắt cắt cổ
- Example : A college education in America cost an arm and a leg
14.sit on the fence
-> trung lập, không đứng về phía nào
- Example : When people are arguing about education system , I prefer to sit on the fence
15.at the drop of a hat = immediate , instantly
-> ngay lập tức
Example : If you need help , just call on me . I can come at the drop of a hat
- a drop in the ocean = insignificant amount
-> một phần rất nhỏ
- Example : Just learning idioms is a drop in the ocean when it come to preparing for the speaking test
- on the go = busy
-> bận rộn
- Example :I’ve been on the go all day, and I’m really tired.
- hit the books= sudy hard
-> học hành chăm chỉ, cần mẫn
- Example : I will sit the final test next week. That’s why I have been hitting the books all day long
- work flat out = work very hard
-> làm việc chăm chỉ
- Example : The employees have been working flat out to get the job finished ahead of the deadline
- under the weather = sick, not completely well
-> ốm, không khoẻ
- Example : I noticed that the cat was looking a little under the weather
- practice makes perfect
-> có công mài sắt, có ngày nên kim
- Example : Q: Is dilidence one of the determinants of success
A: Yes, absolutely . practice makes perfect
- bend over backwards
-> cố gắng hết sức giúp đỡ ai đó
- Example : Q : Describe a time when you helped a friend.
A : My close friend broke up with his girl friend last month and he was really upset about that. As a friend , I bend over backwards to comfort him
- judge a book by its cover
-> trông mắt bắt hình dong
- Example : Q : What is your opinion about the fact that people usualy judge each other based on their first impression ?
A : I think people shouldn’t do that beccause we can’t judge a book by its cover
- (as) fit as a fiddle =well
-> khoẻ mạnh
- Example : Q : How often did you play sports in the past ?
A : Well, I was a sporty person so I used to participate in a lot of physical activities which really helped me become fit as a fiddle
- get up on the wrong side of the bed
-> trải qua điều tồi tệ nào đó
- Example : Q: Describe a trustrating time you had to go through
A: It was a few months ago when I had to expericent a heart – breaking incident : I had to beak up with my girl friend . I can still remember one or two weeks after that always got up on the wrong side of the bed in the morning
Với những Idioms mà KOS cung cấp trên các bạn hãy học thuộc và áp dụng vào câu nói để bài Speaking Ielts của mình đạt điểm cao nhất nhé