- as easy as pie : rất dễ, dễ như ăn bánh
Ex: He said it is a difficult problem, but I don’t agree. It seems as easy as pie to me!
- be sick and tired of : tôi ghét (tôi không chịu được)
Ex: I’m sick and tired of doing nothing but work. Let’s go out tonight and have fun.
- bend over backwards : rất cố gắng ( có khi quá sức )
Ex: He bent over backwards to please his new wife, but she never seemed satisfied.
- sleep on it: suy nghĩ (trước khi quyết định)
Ex: That sounds like a good deal, but I’d like to sleep on it before I give you my final decision.
- broke : hết tiền
Ex: I have to borrow some money from my Dad. Right now, I’m broke
- change one’s mind : đổi ý
Ex: I was planning to work late tonight, but I changed my mind. I’ll do extra work on the weekend instead.
- Cut it out! : dừng làm việc gì xấu
Ex: That noise is really annoying. Cut it out!
- drop someone a line: gửi 1 lá thư hay email cho ai đó
Ex: It was good to meet you . Drop me a line when you have time.
- figure something out : hiểu được vấn đề gì
Ex: I don’t understand how to do this problem. Take a look at it. Maybe you can figure it out.
- fill in for someone : làm dùm ai khi họ vắng mặt
Ex: While I was away from the store, my brother filled in for me.
- in ages : từ rất lâu
Ex: Have you seen Joe recently? I haven’t seen him in ages.
- give someone a hand : giúp
Ex: I want to move this desk. Can you give me a hand?
- hit the hay : đi ngủ
Ex: It’s after 12 o’clock. I think it’s time to hit the hay.
- in the black : sinh lời, có lời
Ex: Our business is really improving. We’ve been in the black all year.
- in the red : mất tiền, lỗ
Ex: Business is really going poorly these days. We’ve been in the red for the past three months.
Xem thêm: Nên học ielts ở đâu?
- in the nick of time: xíu nữa, 1 lúc nữa
Ex: I got to the drugstore just in the nick of time. I really need this medicine!
- keep one’s chin up : dũng cảm và tiếp tục
Ex: I know things have been difficult for you recently, but keep your chin up. It will get better soon.
- know something like the back of your hand : biết 1 việc gì rất rõ
Ex: If you get lost, just ask me for directions. I know this part of town like the back of my hand
- once in a while : đôi khi, lâu lâu
Ex: Have you been to the new movie theater? No, only see movies once in a while.
- sharp : chính xác thời gian đó
Ex: I’ll meet you at 9 o’clock sharp. If you’re late, we’ll be in trouble!
- Don’t judge a book by its cover: this means don’t make a decision based on a brief impression or outward appearance (đừng đánh giá một sự vật/sự việc/con người chỉ qua vẻ bề ngoài)
Ex: He doesn’t look very intelligent, but you can’t judge a book by its cover
- miss the boat = to miss an opportunity (lỡ cơ hội)
Ex: There were tickets available last night, but she missed the boat by waiting till today to try to buy some.
- feeling under the weather = to be ill or unable to do regular activities (cảm thấy không khỏe, không được tốt)
Ex: I’m feeling under the weather – I think I’m getting a cold
Tham khảo: Học Ielts Hà Nội uy tín nhất
- leave no stone unturned = to do everything you can to achieve your goal (làm tất cả để đạt mục tiêu)
Ex: Don’t worry. I’ll find your stolen dog. I’ll leave no stone unturned
- hit the nail on the head = used if something someone says, is precisely correct (đoán đúng, đánh đúng trọng tâm, nói đúng….)
Ex: You hit the nail on the head when you used idioms in the speaking test.
- sit on the fence = to stay neutral and not take sides (lưỡng lự)
Ex: you can’t sit on the fence any longer- you have to decide where you go
- take for granted = to never think about something because you believe it will always be available or stay exactly the same ( coi việc có cái gì như một điều hiển nhiên nên không trân trọng khi có điều đó)
Ex: He took her help for granted without saying thank you
- A piece of cake = very easy (dễ dàng)
Ex: “ Getting a band 6.5 in the speaking test will be a piece of cake”
- Blew me away = when something blows you away, you’re extremely impressed by it (khi thứ gì đó “blow you away”, nghĩa là thứ đó thực sự rất đáng ngạc nhiên)
Ex: The new technology blew me away
- once in a blue moon = very rarely (rất hiếm khi)
Ex: My sister lives in Saigon, so I only see her once in a blue moon.
Xem ngay: Kinh nghiệm luyện thi ielts